Ask The Experts: Bullish on Technology Sector
In this webcast, we speak to Wong Mien, Chief Executive Officer , TA Investment Management Berhad to get his view on opportunities in the global tech space.
1. What is your outlook on the technology sector for 2012?
a. Net cash position of tech companies; defensive quality when global markets are not doing well
b. Poised to capitalize on economic growth around the world
c. Demand from emerging markets
2. What are some of the key drivers for the technology sector?
Wireless technology, which is changing the way people live as more and more things are done through mobile devices and wireless connections. Bandwidth and data speed is also becoming faster and faster to support the change.
3. What about some of the key risks?
Disruption caused by hot money, such as investors' irrational exuberance on tech stocks during the bubble in 2000.
4. Within the technology sector, is there one idea or theme that you are particularly bullish or bearish on?
We're looking at e-commerce companies, such as online advertising, e-payment gateways and mobile data service providers
5. What is your advice for investors looking to invest in the technology sector?
Get rid of the perception that tech stocks are cyclical. During the recent financial crisis, tech stocks outperformed the broader market.
||: Ask The Experts: Bullish on Technology Sector