HWANG INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT BERHAD
Hwang Investment Management Berhad (HwangIM) is Malaysia’s only independent (non-bank or insurance-backed) investment management house that has retained its position amongst Malaysia’s top five. Over the 10 years, their business has grown in size and depth.
• Their assets under management (AUM) as of 29 February 2012 surpassed RM13 billion* – a 630-fold increase over the initial AUM of RM20 million in 2001
• Their range of products covers not only unit trust funds such as equities, bond, money market, structured products, feeder funds and Islamic equities, but also cash management solutions, discretionary mandates and wealth management products and services
• Their clientele comprises a diverse group of clients: retail, corporate, wealth management agencies, government agencies and banking partners and more than 8,000 accounts to date
• Their team has also expanded from less than 20 people to the staff strength of over 130 today
• Additionally, their branch network has expanded from the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur to Penang, Perak, Johor, Sabah and Sarawak
They attribute their growth and performance to their investment philosophy that is premised on delivering absolute returns. They define it as, delivering positive returns through various market conditions (and not merely outperforming the benchmark). This can be achieved as they employ active management in their investment strategies. They are committed to pushing the boundaries of their limits, exceed their investors’ expectations and ultimately, achieve their aspiration as the Asian Financial Specialist of choice.
HwangIM is the product of the partnership between leading and listed integrated financial specialist, Hwang-DBS (M) Berhad (HDBS) and Nikko Asset Management Co., Ltd. (Nikko AM) and was renamed on 18 January 2012 to reflect the to reflect the shareholder change from DBS Asset Management Ltd. (DBSAM) to Nikko Asset Management Asia Ltd. (Nikko AM Asia). DBSAM was renamed as Nikko Asset Management Asia Ltd. on 17 October 2011 to reflect Nikko AM’s acquisition of DBSAM. Nikko AM Asia is wholly-owned by Tokyo-headquartered Nikko AM, a leading independent Asia-based, regional investment management franchise with USD 154 billion** whereas HDBS is a listed entity with an excess of RM870 million*** in shareholders’ funds and is well known as one of Malaysia’s leading integrated financial groups.
* Source: HwangIM as at 29 February 2012
** Source: Nikko AM as at 31 December 2011
*** Source: Hwang-DBS Group as at 27 September 2011 (Financial Report Q4FY11)
Beginning a New Decade as Part of the Nikko Asset Management Group
With this change, HwangIM is very excited about the value proposition which the enlarged and strengthened business brings to our existing and prospective clients. In an era where Asia is increasingly a major engine of world economic growth, Nikko AM’s enhanced core capabilities as focused Asian investment management specialists will also position us to provide our investors with the premier suite of investment solutions to tap into Asia’s growing economic power. Nikko AM’s mission is to be the best-in-class provider of sought-after Asian investment solutions and they remain committed to managing the funds with utmost dedication and professionalism.